There are two flavor choices I am obsessed with as ingredients when it comes to healthy baking, one being peanut butter and the second being cinnamon. I thought it was important to share one of my favorite clean eating cinnamon protein bar recipes with you all. I normally bake these bars on a Sunday or Monday and use them as a healthy snack to travel with me throughout my busy days traveling from gym to gym. Most commercial protein bars are filled with artificial ingredients, sugar, and other unnecessary fillers to make them taste better and so they will last longer in the package before expiring. These protein bars have all natural ingredients, so unless you are freezing them try to eat them within a week (I keep my in Tupperware containers in the fridge). I usually have no problem getting through a batch in a week lol.
Feel free to play around with the ingredients depending on your taste buds, but this is how I make them:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix the following ingredients together in a small bowl & set aside:
– 1/4 cup of Stevia (plant based natural sweetener)
– 2-3 tsp cinnamon
3. Mix the following ingredients together in a large bowl:
– 1 1/2 cups of oat flour (I blend up oats or oat bran in my magic bullet)
– 2 scoops vanilla whey protein (one with no added artificial sweeteners of course!)
– 1 tbsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/4 cup of Stevia or 2-3 tbsp of raw agave nectar
4. Mix the following ingredients together in a small bowl:
– 2 egg whites
– 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
– 1/3 cup or 1-4 oz jar of applesauce baby food
– 1/4 cup non fat- plain greek yogurt (optional – but highly recommend)
5. Mix the ingredients from step 4 & step 3 together.
6. Spray 8X8 dish (I use Pyrex) with non-stick spray ( I use olive oil or coconut oil spray)
6. Pour a shallow layer of batter into the dish (about 1/4 of the batter).
7. Sprinkle heavily with half of the cinnamon/sugar mixture (from step 1).
8. Repeat with the remaining batter & add the remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture on top.
9. Draw a knife through the batter to marble.
10. Pop in the oven and bake for 25-28 minutes and sit back enjoy the AMAZING smell in your house!
11. Once out of the oven let it cool for 10-15 minutes (try and keep your paws off!)
Makes 16 squares
Macro’s per Square
Try them out and let me know what you think!! If you want to trick your kids or significant others into eating these healthy bars, try adding in some dark chocolate chips