It’s hard to believe it, but Christmas is right around the corner and that means countless hours spent in the mall for many people. Don’t let long hours of shopping and Christmas stress keep you from getting regular exercise. Just 30-minutes a day of physical activity can go a long way; therefore, making the most out of your shopping trips can help you avoid packing on extra pounds this holiday season.
If you are organized and already have all of you Christmas shopping completed, then good for you! For the rest of us busy bodies with large shopping lists and never ending to-do lists, take note of these tips to still burn some calories while doing your holiday shopping.
Here are some ways to make your next trip to the mall a workout:
- Before leaving for the mall put on a comfortable outfit and some walking shoes. Before you begin shopping or buy anything make yourself walk the entire length of all the floors in the mall back and fourth until you’ve passed all the stores. Make a list of gift ideas and things you want to get then make your plan of attack. This will not only make you more productive in your shopping, but will also get your metabolism revved up to burn off those holiday indulgences.
- Carry a pedometer with you and try to make a goal number of steps for each shopping trip, trying not to leave the mall until you have reached your goal.
- Avoid elevators and always take the stairs (yes up and down!)
- Carrying heavier items of 25lbs or more up a flight of stairs is considered “vigorous activity” by the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, so carry your purchases around the mall or stores instead of pushing them in a cart. If you have to take a cart be sure to return it back to the front of the store after loading up your car to burn a few extra calories
- Park a little bit further away from the mall and power-walk from your car to the mall to get your heart beating
- If you are shopping solo pop some headphones in your ears and listen to some upbeat music. This will get you walking faster and keep you in a good mood for shopping
It is imperative you:
*Avoid the food court and pack healthy snacks with you
*Walk with a purpose to keep heart rate up and burn more calories
Email Michelle@CORE-Condition.com for more ways to avoid packing on the pounds this holiday season.
Michelle Roots BA KIN, CSCS, PES